Oklahoma Licensed Social Work Associate (LSWA) Guide - 2024

AKA: Oklahoma LSWA License

Social Worker License

by Social Worker License Staff

Updated: February 16th, 2024

Oklahoma Licensed Social Work Associate (LSWA) Licensure Process

LSWAs administer basic generalist services under the supervision of a licensed independent social worker. They can provide services like:

  • Working with individuals, families, and groups to improve and restore biopsychosocial functioning
  • Providing assessments and evaluations
  • Engaging in case management
  • Providing counseling and consultations
  • Conducting psychosocial assessments, taking social histories, and conducting home studies

Education Requirements

You need to earn a bachelor’s in social work (BSW) from a CSWE-accredited school to be eligible for this license.

Find all schools offering social work degree programs in Oklahoma.

Background Check

Consenting to a criminal background check is a requirement for licensure. You have to register on the website for the background check, which is done electronically. All fees associated with background checks are to be paid to the company processing the information, Idemia, when your fingerprints are taken.

You have the option of digital fingerprinting services, or you can register to mail in your manual results. Once the Board receives confirmation that you’ve passed the check, you can move on to the next step of the licensure process. If you have a criminal record, your presence before the Board will be requested, and you can explain the charge or conviction. The Board will make a decision as to whether they will allow you to continue the licensure process.

Applying for Licensure as a Licensed Social Worker Associate

Fill out the Application for Social Work Licensure and check the box for the LSWA. The application fee is $150. Attach your fingerprints to the application for the background check and request that your BSW program send your official transcript to the Board.

Before taking the exam, you will be granted a provisional license to begin working. However, a Supervisor/Supervisee Contract Form must be submitted and approved before you start practicing.

Your provisional license is replaced with a permanent one after the Board receives your passing score. Please note that you will still be supervised as an LSWA.

Examination Requirements

The Board will give you permission to take the exam after reviewing your application. Register for the ASWB Bachelor’s exam on their website and submit the $230 fee. Your scores are automatically transmitted to the Board, who will issue a license once they have confirmed you’ve passed.