West Virginia Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) Licensure Process
The fourth level of a licensed social worker in West Virginia is the LICSW. The scope of work includes:
- Performing all the duties of the previous licensed social workers.
- Applying the social work theory, assessments, methodology, and ethics.
- Professional application of self to diagnose, treat, and prevent psychological disability, dysfunction, and impairment. That includes emotional and mental disorders.
- Clinical social work practice based on the theories of biological, social development, normal human behavior, and psychopathology.
- Interventions in interpersonal interactions and intrapsychic dynamics, including life-support and management issues.
- Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment using psychotherapy and counseling, among others. The process is undertaken with the objectives of the social work profession and its values.
The LICSW has the highest educational requirement. To become an eligible applicant, you need to have a master’s and/or a doctorate in social work from an accredited program by the CSWE.
You also need to have a graduate course in psychopathology or abnormal psychology. The board can accept equivalent courses. That requirement is an addition to the courses completed during the MSW program.
You should complete either a supervised clinical field placement at a graduate level or a post-master clinical training, which the board sees as the equivalent of it.
The applicant needs to have 3,000 hours of practice in full or part-time employment or a minimum of two years of full-time work. On top of that, you need to have 100 hours of face-to-face supervision. At least 50% of the supervision should be in a one-on-one setting rather than a group format.
All applicants for LICSW are required to take and pass the clinical level examination of the ASWB.
To complete your application, you need to submit:
- Proof of your educational attainment
- Record of all required work experience, including clinical supervision
- Passing grade in the clinical level exam from the ASWB
- Properly filled application form, which you can find instructions for here
- All the necessary fees for the application