Utah Social Service Worker (SSW) Guide - 2024

AKA: Utah SSW License

Social Worker License

by Social Worker License Staff

Updated: February 16th, 2024

Utah Social Service Worker (SSW) Licensure Process

SSWs can practice non-clinical social work services while supervised by an LCSW or mental health therapist.

Education Requirements

There are a few ways to fulfill the educational requirement to become an SSW. You need to earn one of the following degrees in the specified area(s).

  • Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a CSWE-accredited school
  • Master’s degree in marriage and family therapy, psychology, or counseling
  • Finished your first year of a CSWE-accredited MSW program
  • A bachelor’s degree in any subject and a minimum of three credit hours in social welfare policy, human growth and development, and social work practice methods. You’ll also need to accumulate supervised experience hours.

Here you can find all schools offering social work degree programs in Utah.

Experience Requirements

When you have earned a bachelor’s degree in a field other than social work, you must accrue 2,000 hours of social work experience. You’re given two years to complete the needed hours, and a licensed mental health therapist must complete the supervision. LCSWs qualify for these supervisory duties. Those with BSWs and MSWs don’t need to take this step.

Background Check

Each candidate for licensure is required to undergo a criminal background check based on fingerprints. The information is then submitted to the FBI to be compared against their criminal databases. The Board has a list of Criminal History Guidelines for Social Work.

Prior to obtaining a license or beginning any coursework that will lead to licensure, you can send in an Application for Criminal History Determination. The Board will evaluate the form and, after 30 days, return a determination letter informing you whether you can proceed in pursuing a social work license.

Examination Requirements

Once you reach the last semester of your BSW program, you can ask to take the ASWB Bachelor’s exam. If you’ve already received your degree, you will be able to register on the ASWB website, pay the $230 exam fee, and schedule the test date. The test is designed to assess your general social work knowledge via 170 multiple-choice questions.

Applying for Licensure as a Social Service Worker

Once you’ve met the above requirements and passed the ASWB Bachelor’s exam, you can submit the application for licensure. Use the online services and register on the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) website. Mailing in the application is another option. Send the form to:

Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing

Heber M. Wells Building 1st Floor Lobby

160 East 300 South

Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741

The other items needed for your application to be considered complete are:

  • $85 application fee
  • ASWB exam scores
  • Official transcript, if you passed the exam before earning your degree
  • A form documenting your supervised experience, if applicable

The verification form is part of the application packet, and a separate one must be filled out for each supervisor you’ve had. When the Board receives all supporting documentation, they will issue you an SSW license.