Alaska Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) Guide - 2024

AKA: Alaska LMSW License

Social Worker License

by Social Worker License Staff

Updated: April 24th, 2023

Become a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) in Alaska

If you want to open up more career opportunities, you can work toward becoming a licensed master social worker (LMSW). This license will allow you to practice in non-clinical settings. For instance, you can serve as a policy analyst or case manager after obtaining your LMSW. Additionally, many social workers use this as a springboard to obtain clinical licensure.

Education Requirements

You will need to complete a master’s or doctoral program in social work from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). The University of Alaska Anchorage provides such a program, but that is only one of your options.

Find all social work degree programs in Alaska.

Experience Requirements

You will gain ample experience when pursuing your master’s degree in social work. The program will place you in a position that provides hands-on experience, and you’ll participate in research. By the time you complete the program, you’ll be ready to jump into your new career.

Examination Requirements

You’ll need to pass an exam through the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) before getting your license. The ASWB also offers an online practice test so you can fine-tune your knowledge and prepare for the test.

Reference Requirements

Alaska requires that applicants submit references before receiving licenses. If possible, include references from a current and previous employer in a social work setting. If you cannot do that, you’ll need to submit a letter of explanation and three professional references to the Board of Social Work Examiners.

You’ll also need a reference from a licensed:

  • Social worker who holds a master’s or doctorate degree
  • Psychological associate
  • Clinical psychologist
  • Physician specializing in psychiatry
  • Medical physician
  • Osteopathic physician
  • Mental health advanced nurse practitioner
  • Registered nurse who holds a master’s in psychiatric nursing
  • Marriage and family therapist
  • Professional counselor

Applying for Licensure as a Master Social Worker

You’ll need to complete several steps to receive your license. The state requires that you:

  • Fill out, notarize, and submit the Application for Master Social Work License
  • Pay the $100 application fee
  • Pay the $275 initial license fee with your application or after passing the exam
  • Provide certified transcripts
  • Include your references
  • Verify any professional licenses you’ve held in another state

You will need to mail everything but the certified transcripts to:

Board of Social Work Examiners

PO Box 110806

Juneau, AK 99811-0806

Your school will be in charge of sending the transcripts. The institution will forward them to the Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing for review.

The board will go over your information and send approval for you to take the exam. Then, you register for the exam via the Association of Social Work Boards. The master’s exam costs $230, and the money is due when you register.

The ASWB will email an authorization to allow you to take the exam within two days of receiving your registration. Then, you can move forward by scheduling and taking your test.

After you finish the exam, the ASWB will review it and send the results to the licensing board. If you pass the exam, you’ll receive your license.