Washington Licensed Associate Social Worker (LASW) Guide - 2024

AKA: Washington LASW License

Social Worker License

by Social Worker License Staff

Updated: April 24th, 2023

As a Licensed Associate Social Worker (LASW), you can work as an advanced administrator for agencies and institutions. Some of the services you can provide are:

  • Assess biopsychosocial and emotional issues
  • Consultation and case management
  • Advocacy
  • Community organization
  • Counseling
  • Psychotherapy under LICSW supervision

Follow below to learn how to become a Licensed Associate Social Worker in Washington.

Washington Licensed Associate Social Worker (LASW) Licensure Process

Education Requirements

In order to receive an LASW in Washington, candidates must possess a Master of Social Work (MSW) or doctoral degree in social work earned from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).

Here you can find all schools offering social work degree programs in Washington.

Experience Requirements

You need to accrue 3,200 hours of supervised work experience once you have your MSW. Eight hundred experience hours must be earned from direct client contact. Ninety of the hours must be supervised and 50 of the supervised hours need to be completed by an LASW or Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW). The remaining 40 hours can be completed by other qualified mental health services providers. They include:

  • Licensed psychologists
  • Licensed psychiatrists
  • Licensed psychiatric nurse practitioners

Background Check

Fingerprint-based background checks are performed through the Washington State Patrol and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). You are responsible for the cost of the check.

Examination Requirements

Passing the ASWB Advanced Generalist exam is a requirement for all LASW applicants. You’ll receive approval from the Department to register for the test after your application is reviewed. The exam fee is $260 and the Department will receive your scores two weeks after your test date.

Applying for Licensure as a Licensed Associate Social Worker

Prior to obtaining LASW licensure, you must apply for a Licensed Social Worker Associate-Advanced (LSWAA). The license is provisional and granted to those who completed the educational requirements but still haven’t fulfilled the necessary supervised experience for licensure. To apply for an LSWAA license, complete the LSWAA application packet and mail it to the Department at:

Department of Health

P.O. Box 1099

Olympia, WA 98507-1099

Initial licenses are sent to the above address, along with your check or money order. If you have to send in further documentation that wasn’t included in the initial application packet, mail it to:

Social Worker Credentialing

P.O. Box 47877

Olympia, WA 98504-7877

You can also complete the application online. No matter which way you decide to send the Department your packet, there is other documentation that must be attached. They are:

You’ll be notified by the Department once your LSWAA application is approved and you can start earning your supervised experience hours. You can apply for your permanent LASW license once the supervised experience is complete. Complete the Social Worker License Application Packet and send it to the Department or sign up and register to fill out the packet online. There is a $2.50 convenience fee to use the online portal. To verify your supervised experience, send a Verification of Social Worker Postgraduate Supervised Experience form. LASW license and application fees total $216.

The Department only needs your ASWB scores at this point, and once they’re received your LASW license will be issued. You’re now able to provide social work services while supervised by an LICSW.