Minnesota Social Worker License by Reciprocity Guide - 2024

Social Worker License

by Social Worker License Staff

Updated: May 15th, 2022

No reciprocity agreements exist between Minnesota and any other state. However, social workers who hold a valid license to practice in another state may obtain an equivalent license to practice in Minnesota, as long as the requirements they fulfilled are equivalent to the requirements for the same license in Minnesota. This process is referred to as licensure by endorsement. All applications for licensure by endorsement come with a $100 fee, regardless of the license being applied for.

LSW and LGSW license holders do not need to provide proof of having completed any hours of supervised practice. However, they will be required to complete 100 hours of supervised practice in Minnesota. LISW and LICSW licensees only need to show proof of having worked for 4000 hours including supervised practice hours before they were licensed. Proof of licensure and CBC are the other requirements for licensure by endorsement.