Hawaii Licensed Social Worker (LSW) Guide - 2024

AKA: Hawaii LSW License

Social Worker License

by Social Worker License Staff

Updated: April 24th, 2023

The LSW license is a step higher than the LBSW. When you hold an LSW, you can perform the roles of an LBSW and more. The additional functions include conducting research on social policies and programs, plus providing solutions and community resources. Unlike the LBSW, you will perform these advanced non-clinical roles without supervision.

Hawaii Licensed Social Worker Licensing Process

This is an intermediate-cadre license for social work in Hawaii. To successfully get licensed, an applicant would have to meet the specific criteria below:

Education Requirements

Applicant must have a master’s degree in social work from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)-accredited college or university or undergo a corresponding pre-approved program. OR

A doctoral degree in a social work program from a college or university accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or an equivalent local accreditation body.

Find all schools offering social work degree programs in Hawaii.

Submit a request to the registrar of your school to forward your official transcript showing your qualification, major, and the date your degree was awarded to the agency.

Examination Requirements

The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) qualifying exam is a requirement for LSW licensure in Hawaii. The examination comes in electronic testing conducted by Pearson Vue and usually runs throughout the year.

Applicants who want to sit for the ASWB “Master’s” examination should:

Submit their application with the non-refundable fee of $60 in the form of checks to Commerce and Consumer Affairs.

Proceed to the ASWB website, and click on “Register for the ASWB Exam” to fill out the Registration Form. You can use only credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover) to make payments on this platform. The registration fee is $230.

You will receive an Authorization to Test (ATT) in your mail if your application is successful. Your ATT contains every detail you need to finish up your examination registration and schedule your examination on the ASWB website. You will also access every resource you require to prepare for your examination.

Once you receive notification that you passed the examination, apply to ASWB to send a notice to the board.

If you passed your examination and want to transfer to Hawaii, you should fill out a Score Transfer Request Form.

You can reach out to ASWB via the following platforms:


Fill the Score Transfer Request in the Candidate Handbook and return the completed form and required payments to:

ASWB, Candidate Registration Center

P.O. Box 1508

Culpeper, VA 22701


You can also fill out the Score Transfer Form on the ASWB website


1-888-579-3926 to request a Score Transfer report.

Score transfer applications cost $40.

Experience Requirements

There are no experience requirements for the LSW license.

Reference Requirements

You do not need references to obtain the LSW license.

Applying for Licensure as a Social Worker

  • Fill out and submit the LSW application form on the board’s website. Fill out every part using N/A for a question that is not applicable. Submit every requirement, including your social security number.
  • Pay the $60 application fee.
  • Request for your official transcript from the registrar of your school. Your school’s registrar should send it directly to the board.
  • Proceed to the ASWB website to apply for the examination.
  • Pay the ASWB examination fee of $230.
  • Complete your application for examination on the Pearson VUE website.
  • Visit the ASWB website to complete the score transfer form, which will send your examination result to the board.
  • You should receive your license afterward.