Connecticut Temporary Social Worker Permit Guide - 2024

Social Worker License

by Social Worker License Staff

Updated: April 24th, 2023

Applying for a Temporary Permit

The Connecticut State Department of Public Health can issue a temporary permit to someone seeking licensure for a master’s level social worker with a master’s degree coming from an accredited social work educational program but has not completed the examination. The permit authorizes the holder to practice as a master’s level social worker.

The temporary permit will be valid for a specific period that shall not exceed 120 calendar days since the master’s degree was awarded. The permit is not renewable and becomes void in the event that the applicant fails the licensing examination.

Applications for a temporary permit are only accepted online.

  1. Log into the system and verify your email address.
  2. Select the Initial Application option located at the bottom left part of the screen.
  3. Expand the Public Health Practitioners group.
  4. Find the Master’s Level Social Worker. Select it and then start.
  5. Complete the application for the license.
  6. Repeat the steps and submit an application for Master’s Level Social Worker – Temporary Permit

The application fee for a temporary permit is $50.

Documentation Requirements

Part of the online application process is submitting a copy of your diploma or any document to verify your degree in social work from an accredited program institution. Other requirements accepted include a transcript of records from the university or a letter from the registrar or program director that proves you completed the program and the date the degree was awarded.