New Mexico Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) Guide - 2024

AKA: New Mexico LMSW License

Social Worker License

by Social Worker License Staff

Updated: April 24th, 2023

New Mexico Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) Licensure Process

You can become an advanced generalist by pursuing a career as a licensed master social worker. It takes longer to meet the requirements to become an LMSW than it does to work as a baccalaureate social worker. Still, it’s much faster to complete this when compared to pursuing a clinical social worker license. After earning the license, you can work in policy analysis, case management, and other general practice areas. However, you’ll be an advanced generalist, allowing you to take on more challenges and earn additional money.

Education Requirements

You’ll start the process by earning a master’s in social work from a program that’s been accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). New Mexico has two accredited master’s programs for advanced generalists, and both are offered in-person and online. If your program includes the New Mexico culture component, you won’t need to take it separately. Otherwise, you’ll need to take the class before becoming an LMSW.

Here you can find all schools offering social work programs in New Mexico.

Experience Requirements

Your master’s degree program will teach you everything necessary to begin your career as a master social worker. Thus, the state does not require that you meet an experience requirement to begin working.

Examination Requirements

You must apply for licensure to get approval to sit for the licensing exam. Once approved, you can register for the master’s exam through the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB). You’ll need to pay the $230 exam fee when registering.

Additionally, the state requires that you take and pass the jurisprudence exam. You’ll have access to the test when completing your online application and must score 70 percent or higher to pass. It’s an open book exam, though, so you can look up the answers if needed.

Applying for Licensure as a Licensed Masters Social Worker

You can apply for your license and upload the supporting documentation via the New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department (NMRLD) portal. Start by going to the website and creating an account. Then select “Apply for a License” under “Boards and Commissions Division”.

Next, click on the “Board of Social Work Examiners” and select “Licensed Master Social Worker”. Then you’ll provide all the information and take the jurisprudence exam.