Massachusetts Social Worker License by Reciprocity Guide - 2024

Social Worker License

by Social Worker License Staff

Updated: September 30th, 2022

If you are licensed in another ASWB-compliant state, you can transfer your services to Massachusetts without repeating the licensing process in the state. You can get a Massachusetts license equivalent to your license in your former practice state.

Apply for license reciprocity here.

The Massachusetts Board of Social Workers requires the following:

  • Your school’s transcript, in a sealed official school envelope or sent electronically to
  • Three professional references with valid and current email addresses. If applying for LSWA, LSW, and LCSW, one of your references must be an LCSW or LICSW (or their equivalents) license holder. If you are seeking a LICSW license, then one of your references must be a LICSW license holder or its equivalent in your state.
  • A completed criminal background check in a signed, notarized criminal history acknowledgment form.
  • A 2-inch by 2-inch color passport photograph. The photograph must be clear and scanned and submitted during the online application or sent via mail with the other application documents.
  • Your Certified Score Report of the relevant ASWB exam.

After examining your application, the board will notify you if you require an ASWB exam.